you're reading...

#Hot News: US,Alabama School Bus Kidnapper Shot Dead,Boy Rescued

Jimmy Lee Dykes Alabama Schoolbus Kidnapper

Jimmy Lee Dykes Alabama Schoolbus Kidnapper

A kidnapper in the US state of Alabama has died after police raided his bunker, saving a five-year-old boy held captive inside for six days.

FBI agent Steve Richardson said agents had gone in after negotiations with Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, deteriorated.

Dykes had been keeping the boy, Ethan, in a storm shelter since last Tuesday after abducting him from a school bus and shooting dead the driver.

The 66-year-old bus driver’s funeral was held on Sunday.

Daryle Hendry, who lives about a quarter of a mile from the bunker, told the Associated Press he heard a boom followed by a gunshot on Monday afternoon.

Mr Richardson said negotiations between officials and Dykes had deteriorated over the past 24 hours, and that the abductor had been seen holding a gun.

Fearing the child was in imminent danger, officials raided the bunker at 15:12 local time (21:12 GMT), he said.

It was unclear how Dykes had died but the child was said to have been unharmed.

A local law enforcement official told Reuters stun or flash grenade was detonated as part of the operation to free the boy, but did not release other details.

The incident began in Midland City on Tuesday afternoon when the bus driver refused to hand over the child, whom Mr Dykes apparently snatched at random.

According to witnesses, the kidnapper pounced when the school bus stopped to let off two children.

Dykes grabbed the door so it could not close and came on board, demanding two boys aged six and eight.

When the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland, blocked the bus aisle with his arm, witnesses said Dykes fired four shots, killing him.

During the six-day standoff, officials talked to Dykes and delivered medication to the boy through a 4in (10cm) ventilation pipe.

According to court records, Dykes had been due to appear in court last Wednesday, accused of menacing neighbours as they drove past his home some weeks ago.

People who live nearby said Dykes had once beaten a dog to death with a lead pipe, threatened to shoot children for setting foot on his property and patrolled his yard at night with a flashlight and a firearm.

Court records showed Dykes was arrested in Florida in 1995 for improper exhibition of a weapon, but the charges were dismissed.



No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

AkaraBox’s Latest Tweets